Hiring laborers to install artificial grass: requirements, do's and don'ts
Most artificial grass installation companies work by project, that is, by individual jobs hired by homeowners or by other home improvement companies.
In this business, efficiency is key. So you must make sure you calculate exactly how much material and workers you need for every project. As it is evident, the quality is fundamental, both the quality of the materials that will be used and the great work of great installers. For this reason, we want to share with you some tips and observations to take into account when hiring and supervising the performance of laborers.
Work schedule and number of people to hire for each project
The number of installers required will depend on how quickly you want to finish the installation. It must be taken into account that the daily schedule can be from 7 am to 4 pm, with 45 minutes or an approximate time of stopping for lunch. Therefore, the complete day of work is approximately 6 hours in total.
Now, depending on the geographical area or the season of the year, the working hours may vary, since it is advisable to place the synthetic grass in the hottest hours. This has a very logical reason that you can read in our blog post: "Myth and reality: Install at the hottest or coldest time of the day?"
Regarding the number of workers to hire, these three examples can serve as a guide:
- To cover a field of 300 feet or less, which you want to finish in one day, two laborers will be enough.
- Three to four-day laborers are needed for a 500-foot field.
- If the project is +1,000 feet and you want to complete it in two days, four workers are required for the first day and three for the second day.
Categories of workers and forms of payment
- The payment of workers is generally calculated per day worked and per scale that increases according to the experience and responsibility of each day worked in the project. But if an eventuality occurs and it is not possible to complete it on time, the contractor must pay the extra day or the additional hours if it exceeds 4 pm or the deadline that they have agreed with the workers. But if the delay occurs during the day, it is the responsibility of the workers to terminate the project without getting any additional payment.
- The categories of workers are
- Helper with installation knowledge
- Professional installers
- The daily pay scales are usually as follows:
- The assistant or helper receives a basic payment that can be $120
- The most experienced assistant can earn $150, that is, 25% more than the first
- The professional installer can earn $200, which is 30% more than the helper with installation knowledge.
- These workers only have to provide their labor and the contractor will provide all the equipment that is needed, as well as the tools and supplies to finish the job.
- For each project, it must be a Project Manager assigned.
This person will be the link between the client and the contractor and installers.
The Project Manager is the only person authorized to communicate directly with the client, to speed up decision-making related to the installation process.
Main capabilities the installers must have
The main capabilities that the installation company must look for in installers are:
- Common sense
- Attention to detail
Basic requirements that the worker must meet
- Follow the instructions of the Project Manager, and execute exclusively the actions approved by the company. Under no circumstances should anyone make any changes suggested by the client that have not been authorized previously by the Project Manager.
- Have a Social Security Number.
- Mandatory use of the company uniform. It must be clean and in good shape at the workplace.
- Use of appropriate language during the workday (do not yell, do not use bad words in front of the client).
- Do not listen to music at a high volume.
- Do not smoke inside the property or in its surroundings.
Send photos to the company of the entire installation process (before, during, and at the end of the project). Learn why it is so important to take pictures on this blog post: "Why the installer should take pictures before, during, and after the installation of artificial grass?"
- Commit not to use any photos or materials or personal use.
- Leave the work area clean and organized, as well as the restroom assigned by the client, and the transit areas.
The contractor must take into account that the work does not begin the day of the installation of the artificial grass as such, but must begin after having completed the initial steps. These can take several days according to the characteristics of the land, as we pointed out in the following article on our blog "Checklist for Clients and Contractors to take into account before installing artificial grass in a property"
Recommendations for client
If you are interested in installing artificial grass in residence or business areas and you do not know who to hire for the installation, you only have to ask us, because at Diamond Artificial Grass we will make sure you get the best contractor that adapts to your needs, location, type of work and more.
Important Notice to Contractors: How to Learn More
If you are interested in becoming a professional installer, we have the solution for you. At Diamond Artificial Grass University we offer classes in English and Spanish to professionally train all those who have already started or want to start learning to install artificial grass. What are you waiting for? Contact us or visit our stores Mon-Fri 8:00 am to 5:00 pm. See ya!