Discover the multifunctionality of Poly Board in artificial turf projects
There are ways to fix the turf to the ground that can be much cheaper, easier, and faster to install. For this reason, some clients or installers have thought that the installation of Poly Boards is an unnecessary expense, but it is not. Let's see why:
Why use nailer boards?
The correct way to install synthetic turf is to use nailer board around the entire perimeter of the project to protect it from moving.
For a correct installation the artificial grass needs to be stretched to avoid wrinkles, ripples, and bubbles. For this purpose, Poly Boards must be installed.
What are Poly Boards and how do they work?
Poly Boards are versatile, heavy-duty, flexible plastic rods specially designed for synthetic turf installations. These pieces have been specially designed to fulfill some essential functions:
1) The first is to secure and fix the turf at the edges or perimeter of the covered area, both in projects that require a normal preparation base, as well as in projects on concrete with drain tiles.
In these cases, the Poly Boards are not visible, because they are attached to the floor with stakes of the same material, and the artificial turf is fastened on top of them with staples so that they are completely covered. And most importantly, its correct application ensures that the synthetic turf does not move and is very difficult to lift. And if that were to happen, the staples would not be exposed, because being stapled to the Poly Board would avoid accidents and the problem would be solved directly on this surface located on the edges of the field. Therefore, the use of Poly Board is necessary for high-traffic areas such as sports fields, children's playgrounds, pet play areas, or residential or commercial areas.
2) The other use to the Poly Board is to serve as edging or protective barrier, that is, to function as a kind of wall so that the soil does not spread out of the edge by the dragging action generated by rain or irrigation water. The Poly Board contains it in its place.
3) When the Poly Board is placed at the same level as the base, it can make the process of compacting and leveling the base of the ground much more comfortable and easier because it can be adjusted to the same size as the Poly Board. But if used as edging, it does not work to hold the synthetic turf in place or as a guide for aggregate leveling.
4) Poly Boards are also great support for decoration and arrangement between different spaces. In these cases, the Poly Boards must be visible so that the differentiation of the divided areas is noticeable. For example, an area of artificial turf and an area of natural turf, or trees and decorative plants or stones in the interior of the installation. The good thing is, that it is also possible to alternate artificial turf and natural grass in the same space and integrate them in a harmonious and organized way.
Something very important is that with the installation of the Poly Board it is assured that no damages are produced by tripping or rubbing on the artificial turf due to the use of gardening equipment and cleaning of the surrounding areas.
Characteristics and uses of the Poly Board
Each piece measures 20 feet long x 4 inches high and 1 inch thick, which facilitates its placement in different areas of the terrain.
Because of the type of material in which they are made, Poly Boards can be cut according to the size required for the design of the project.
Because of their great flexibility, they can be rolled up to facilitate transportation and adapt to the project.
If the artificial turf needs to be replaced, it will not be necessary to lay another Poly Board due to its great durability. The old grass is simply removed and the new one is reattached with staples on its surface instead of using nails, as these can cause injuries to people and pets in case they detach.
Poly Board - Teak 1"x4"x20'
- Poly Boards separate the soil from the base and are secured with stakes that are made of the same material. These stakes will support backbone of the Poly Board edge. The edge can easily curve, but it will never hold its shape without the support provided by the stakes.
How to fix the stakes
Place the Poly Board on the base in the shape you want to install it.
Place the stakes on the edge of the Poly Board approximately 4 feet apart from each other.
The stakes must be hammered or drilled until they are buried, and then securely fastened to the Poly Board in a vertical position, and placed with 2 special screws for that material are drilled for each stake.
Although 12-inch stakes are most popular for regular areas, 18-inch stakes are ideal for the softer or sandier ground because 12-inch stakes do not provide enough support.
The biggest importance of installing Poly Boards is that if they are not installed, over time, when corners begin to be damaged or lifted by poorly glued synthetic grass edges, the installer will have to return to the site to repair the peeling edges and this will most likely result in additional costs to the customer.
To learn about other useful topics and interesting recommendations we invite you to browse our blog and read the articles of your choice. You will surely find many tips and information that you did not know. We are also available to assist you personally in any of our stores and offer you everything you need for the installation of an artificial turf project.
We are located in:
BROWARD SHOWROOM 6501 Northwest 12th Avenue
Ft. Lauderdale, FL 33309 Suite #1312. Call Us: 844-579-6887.
- MIAMI SHOWROOM Miami International Commerce Center 1839 NW 79 Avenue, Doral, FL 33126. Call Us: 844-579-6887.
- WEST PALM BEACH SHOWROOM 7257 Westport place Suite B2 West Palm Beach, FL 33413. Call Us: 844-579-6887.
- ORLANDO SHOWROOM 51 Maguire Rd. Ocoee, FL 34761. Call Us: 844-579-6887.